Audition and class dates have been set for the Fall 2019 edition of Upstart. This eight-week Calgary workshop will allow participants to film scenes and watch their work together on Monday nights at 8 between September 23 and November 25 (no class on October 14 or November 11). Participation is open to Alberta-based directors and actors who have some basic experience in their field. Auditions will be held on Monday, September 16th at SAIT in room MD212 starting at 6:30 PM and discounts are available to members of AMPIA, ACTRA and WIFTA.
We encourage writers to submit scenes which are appropriate for the format of the program. These would be dialogue based scenes of roughly 4–5 pages in length with significant roles for 3 or more actors. Use of submitted scenes is subject to the approval of the UPSTART coordinator. Scenes involving stunts or sexual contact are not appropriate for UPSTART. Those submitting scenes to UPSTART should be prepared to get constructive feedback from the program participants. The program is not intended to produce a finished product for any kind of distribution. The purpose is only to demonstrate how the director and actors interpret the screenplay they are given.
- The workshop will run from Monday, September 23, 2019 to Monday, November 25, 2019 (8 evenings – no class on October 14th or November 11th)
- Classes run 6:30 to 10:00 pm
- Cost will be $189.00 (gst included) – (Members of AMPIA, ACTRA or WIFT-A), or $241.50 (gst included) – (Non-Members)
- * No auditions required for returning members
- * No auditions required for those applicants who have previously auditioned but because of lack of space were unable to attend.
- Actors – send resume and headshot to email@example.com and request an audition
- Directors – send resume or film list along with any links to films you have directed in the past to firstname.lastname@example.org and request an interview
- Writers – there’s no cost to submit a script! If it’s appropriate for UPSTART, our participants will shoot the scene while you watch your script come to life!
FINAL DECISIONS WILL BE MADE BY WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2019. The total number of participants will be 12 actors and 4 directors.