We are diving straight into film festival season with events taking place across Alberta. This is the perfect time for film lovers to take a workshop from industry leaders, check out the latest films and support local heroes. Here’s what’s happening…
Fort McMurray International Film Festival
September 4 – 6, 2015
Celebrating its fifth year, the Fort McMurray International Film Festival has over 120 hours of content from 10 different countries, including the AMPIA-nominated short film IF YOU LOVE YOUR CHILDREN by Sanjay Patel.
Gotta Minute Film Festival
September 14 – 20, 2015
For one week this fall, One Minute Silent Short Films will light up platform screens throughout the Edmonton Transit LRT system, bringing Media Art to Edmontonians ‘on the go’.
Calgary International Film Festival
September 23 – October 4, 2015
The Calgary International Film Festival (CIFF) will be featuring the latest work from directors Paul Gross, Deepa Mehta and Atom Egoyan. Joining that line-up is a long list of home-grown talent!
- AMPIA members Trevor Smith and John Kerr debut their feature-length documentary THE SMALLS: FOREVER IS A LONG TIME for the Closing Night Gala.
- Producers Emily Renner Wallace, Greg Jeffs and Spencer Estabrooks will showcase their latest Dungeons & Dragons-style adventure LEGEND OF THE LICH LORD.
- Chris Hsiung débuts ELDER IN THE MAKING, an informative expose into the complexity of Aboriginal culture and the historical Treaty 7 agreement.
- Be sure to catch 40 BELOW AND FALLING, the 3D romantic comedy directed by Dylan Pearce.
- In the CIFF Short Series, Benjamin Ross Hayden‘s stylish sci-fi film EDICT, Aaron Bernakevitch‘s THE MONEY TREE, and the drama GLORY RIVER, directed by Blake McWilliam.
Edmonton Short Film Festival
September 26, 2015
This festival showcases Alberta filmmakers outside of the “normal” festival market and features diverse projects (newly created or “dusted off” favourites) including: animations, documentaries, trailers, music videos, web series, commercials, and short films.
Jasper Short Film Festival
September 26, 2016
The Jasper Short Film and Media Arts Festival is an opportunity for filmmakers and media artists from around the world to exhibit their work in Jasper National Park. As a UNESCO World Heritage Site and destination for world travellers, Jasper serves as an excellent setting for filmmakers from around the world to exhibit to an international audience.
Edmonton International Film Festival
October 1 -10, 2015
Feature highlights include 40 BELOW AND FALLING – starring Jewel Straite and Shawn Roberts (pictured above), FIGURINE by Hans Olson and a first-feature début by director Akash Sherman, THE ROCKET LIST. The full schedule for EIFF will be revealed on September 8th.
Special Mention: FORSAKEN
Panacea Entertainment is pleased to announce that the feature film FORSAKEN, a western starring Kiefer Sutherland, Donald Sutherland and Demi Moore will have its world premiere on September 16, 2015 at an evening Gala at the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF). The film is a co-production between Panacea Entertainment and Minds Eye Entertainment. It was shot entirely on location at the CL Ranch near Cochrane, Alberta. The director is Jon Cassar, who also worked with Kiefer Sutherland on the blockbuster 24 television series.